Saturday, March 12, 2005

There was another party on an island in Lake Victoria last weekend???

Can you believe this? Apparently, there was another party on an island in Lake Victoria last weekend or better "orgy" as Mr. Timothy Bukumunhe from The New Vision classified the event (bukumunhe@newvision.co.ug, +256 41 337000)

First, I thought Mr. Bukumunhe was referring to the party organised by the management of the Rouge. That would have been bad, if any of my colleagues would have read that I attended a "sex and ganja orgy". But fortunately, the description of the "sex and ganja orgy" does not fit at all to the decent party I went to. By the way: What is "ganja"? Why does the local press constantly use non-English expressions? I would not mind, if they added an English translation but so I also end up running to our secretaries asking for translations.

Anyway, Mr. Bukumunhe must have had a tough weekend according to his first hand experiences with that "orgy". I mean how else shall he be able to report all those details? It must be based on his in depth experiences. And it must be true because according to the first article of the Code Of Ethics of the National Institute of Journalists of Uganda (NIJU):

"1 - No journalist shall disseminate information or allegations without establishing its correctness or truth."

Even if he used second hand information this would apply though he shall not disclose her/his identity according to the second article of the same Code of Ethics. Therefore, I will use his name as a pars pro toto and thereby respect the ethical standards which he is obliged to obey to.

Back to the two parties on 5th February 2005:
Honestly, those, who attended that "orgy", were worse off than those who came to the party on Bulago Island, because their departure was already in the early Saturday morning, only men drank, and only expatriates went. But they had several boats, and not only one, which partly broke down on its way back… Hm, I would say, it is time to compare both parties before deciding which was better.

The differences:
There was no boat heading towards Bulago Island in the morning. I think, ours was the first to arrive at Bulago Island and that was around 1.00 p.m. The rest left Munyonyo at 4.30 p.m., if I am correctly informed.

Those, who came to our party, had to sit in one big long boat without any decks, which would have protected the passengers from the sun.

There was a wide variety of nationalities assembled and among the party guests, there were also many Ugandans.Bimbettes. Thanks to the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language (Fourth Edition 2000), I was also able to find the definition of this offensive slang term (it was a challenge): "A woman considered as sexually provocative and mentally vacuous." (I like the last part of it.) Well, there was no one of the usual suspects on our island. All those kind of semi-professional Ugandans must have gone to the orgy, which Mr. Bukumunhe attended.

Both, men and women drank alcoholic beverages - yes I admit me too! But in contrast to the "orgy", my fellow party guests set up their tents first, when they arrived on the island and the party could not start immediately on the island due to some … let's call it "organisational challenges".

Thus, the time until the bar, music etc was set up, was bridged by some traditional sitting together on the beach and talking with each other and watching the amazing sky which was full of stars that night. I admit what went on my nerves was the careless behaviour of some people who threw away their bottles and cigarette butts. Thus if people smoked pipes, I would have appreciated that, but isn’t that a bit old-fashioned?Rather than by ganja smoke, the air on Bulago Island was "polluted" by lake flies. Those were everywhere! Maybe, this was different at Mr. Bukumunhe's orgy, and then he should disclose the name of that piece of land in the lake.

Even during the rain showers starting around midnight, there was nothing like a wet t-shirt contest and no women exposed their blossoms - okay, some men exposed their chests, but would this come close to "skimpy bikini clad bimbettes, who occasionally bared their boobies"? I would say it does not. No women on our island, whom I know, would ever dare to expose any of their secondary sexual characteristics in public. Besides, I think, it would not even been possible on our boat because everybody had to wear life jackets.

As regards to the many couples, who came to our island: There was no unusual public display of affection (I always wanted to use this term!), which would have given reason to raise eyebrows – well at least not for the eyes of a western liberal.

Conclusion: I am quite happy that I have not met Mr. Bukumunhe or his informant at his "sex and ganja orgy". Since I am usually not invited to such exclusive parties, I will probably never meet him and honestly, I do not want to be invited to such parties. That gentleman’s party was obviously attended by impolite, sexually unsatisfied drunkards who not know how to behave at all and who downgrade women to sexual objects. No thanks!

P.S.: What kind of café organises "sex and ganja orgies" in Uganda? It is probably neither Café Roma (my favourite place for pizza) nor Crocodile Café and Bar. Was it Pause Café, Hunters Café Bar, Will’s Café and Bar or maybe Rock Garden Café?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home