Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Today is Women’s Day

The average man would say, isn’t it always about women. Anyway, so there is this public holiday (on a Tuesday!) and what is different? Right, nothing except that public servants and office workers can stay at home. The rest works as usual. You can go shopping, dining, do anything you do on any other week day or weekend. Those are nice public holidays…

Though, I admit it is strange to celebrate a holiday which shall honour the achievements and important roles of women in society, when it is those who have to work as usual.

Asked what will be special today, a very senior Ugandan colleague of mine told me that I shall honour the women. That would be all. No presents or special advertencies. “African women do not expect men to be nice.” No comment.

Speaking of achievements of women: I have to admit that I do appreciate that women give birth to children (“to pop the tot” - just caught this expression up) – especially after this one episode of E.R. Anyway, some Indian neighbours show the achievements of their women at the pool today.

There is another question, I would like to rise: When I attended the dinner ball organised by the U.N. Spouse Association, I did not see any male member of that association. It might be a coincidence, of course, but in general I fear that international organisations are not gender sensitive in this regard. I honestly believe that this is an important issue.

A friend of mine came to Uganda, because his wife had this job in a leading position. He had been having a tough time her. He was considered a lazy man, who just played tennis and hang out with his friends. But, what do the women do who stay at home while their husbands make the world a better place to be by alleviating poverty etc? Ask yourself and look around, whether this observation is wrong.

And of course my friend was also considered to have relationships with local ladies. Which was not true at all! I miss him. He was a good listener – well as a social worker, that is what is supposed to be able to – he was funny and apart from the same first name we also shared a common sense of humour.

I suggest implementing special programs for those men who accompany their abroad working women. Those men must cope with many more problems than women, especially if they live in a society, which is less liberal and less emancipated like e.g. Uganda. And who supports them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home