Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Rouge's Party on Bulago Island

First of all: I slept well, woke up on time and had no hang over - perfect start into a sunny Sunday! But before, there was a long decision making process:

20.02.2005: heart about the party and was indifferent, whether I would go

24.02.2005: think it was that day, when I received the “official” invitation by SMS

25.02.2005: saw the ads at Rouge and thought "No, that is something for the cool guys."

28.02.2005: was asked by some friends, whether I would go or asked to join respectively; refused to go

01.03.2005: had some beers at my place with a friend and decided to go to the party on the island but instead of staying in a tent, we would rent a cottage

02.03.2005: called Rouge and booked five tickets for the trip, reserved a cottage and arranged transportation for an early departure on Sunday

03.03.2005, 22:00: called Rouge and the hotel on the island and cancelled the reservations and bookings

04.03.2005: called/texted friends and informed them about my decision; others were also indifferent and thought about cancelling the trip; met the other owner of the Rouge at Mamba Point and he complained that I pulled out; his arguments were:

  • women-men ratio 3:1
  • all models in town would show up
  • great food and drinks
  • great music

So it was basically a must to go!

05.03.2005, 1:45: was at the Rouge, met the gentleman again and could not resist to buy a ticket from the organizer; this left me with two problems:
no transport to Munyonyo
no tent

05.03.2005, 2:00: sent an SMS to a friend explaining my dilemma

05.03.2005, 9:15: was told to be at my friend’s place before 11:00 a.m.

05.03.2005, 10:45: was at the friend’s place

05.03.2005, 11:00: went shopping for the trip and then picked up the others and the tents

05.03.2005, 12:30: left the Marines' House

05.03.2005, 13:50: arrived at Bulago Island with the speed boat and started to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere on the island

It is just great to have nice friends who do not mind my strange decision making processes and who provide help when needed as in this case: I got onto the island with a speed boat and I was allowed to share the tent with them.

We had a nice day and night on the island! I swam in the lake, walked around – very relaxing and definitely different from the common Saturdays in Kampala. The party in the evening was cool. I met some very nice people, and enjoyed myself despite some- let's call it - organizational surprises. How come e.g. that there was no team setting up the party place before the masses came?

Ah, as regards to the convincing arguments:

  • Women-men ratio 3:1 - probably not true but I did not care
  • All the famous (local) models would show up – some did, but no one I have not known before
  • Great food and drinks - dinner was served, yes... , drinks were warm, they had Great red wine, though
  • Great music - definitely!

Actually, I was surprised when I thought about the previous night on our way back to Kampala (door to door 1h trip). I enjoyed it although there are some things I really do not like:

  • Sand.
  • Little annoying (flying) insects.
  • Having no shower in the morning.
  • Having no possibility to clean my pair of glasses.
  • Warm drinks except hot chocolate and tea.
  • AND having to ask others for favours.

I had to overcome all this and it turned out to be a wonderful event. The lake flies made me drink less of the warm beverages, a bottle of water and a baseball cap substituted the shower and since it was dark anyway, I could not realize that my glasses let me barely look through. And my friends did not mind taking me to the island and providing me a place to sleep in their tent.


Although some tough party people danced until the early morning and several others could not sleep because of the loud music, I did not care. I can sleep anywhere whatever is going on around me. I do not even mind, if someone wakes me up (I do not know, how many times this happened during the few hours I slept in that night). But I cannot recall this strange story I heart this morning - which I admit, I may have misunderstood: One lady allegedly tried to kiss me, while I was sleeping. Hm, this is just too unlikely.

By the way: The main organizer thought I would be stupid and told everybody: "This Torsten is strange. He ordered tickets for five, cancelled two days later and now he buys a ticket, although he is not coming. He is giving away money for nothing...” – This made him and his friends laugh and they were happily surprised when they saw me waiting for them at the island’s hotel in the late Saturday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home