Tuesday, March 29, 2005

TV in Germany

Although I had a tight calendar while I was in Germany, I also managed to watch some TV. It is a bad habit to switch on the TV, when I eat at home. Alternatively I read the daily. I am used to have many people around me for lunch or dinner, so I substitute those with the TV entertainment. However, TV in Germany is not what it used to be. It is becoming worse. I wonder what kind of fellow Germans the target group are. No all of my fellow Germans can be dumb.

This deterioration of TV quality has been ongoing for years and I always realize it, when I come back after some time. Thus, the responsible TV managers might not be aware of it (like to frog in the boiling pot).


Unfortunately, the German equivalent of David Letterman, Harald Schmidt also enjoyed holidays, therefore only those shallow shows for the vast majority of TV watching Germany were on air. Big Brother, Court Show, Jerry Springer kind of shows and so on. Admittedly, some nice movies were shown, which I obviously did not watch.

Maybe, I should move the TV downstairs, when I am back. But since I plan to get real fast internet and a digital TV receiver, I will probably find ways and means to keep me busy, without actually “watching” bad TV shows. And besides, there are still some books, which stand unfinished on the book shelves. Among them there are two books written by Ayn Rand: “Capitalism the unknown Ideal” and “Atlas Shrugged”. Both are unread since 1999. They first pages just do not invite to any further reading… But admittedly, the rest is mostly no-fictional. This is something, I should change again – in the future, not now. I have too many unfinished non-fictional books and texts that I must read first. And maybe, I should keep the TV in my living room, just to watch Harald Schmidt before I will go to bed. He had always been a nice end of the day entertainment, which reflected current issues, highlighted culture, music and so forth. I hope his new show is similar to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home