Sunday, March 13, 2005

Ordering in a restaurant in Uganda - 101

Never be sarcastic! If the waiter asks you, whether you want to have three ice scoops in one or in three glasses, never ever dare to answer “in three”. Guess, what happened to me when I could not resist saying, “Yes, why not put it in three different ones”. My British friend just asked, whether I knew what I was doing. I said, who would be so stupid to bring three glasses with one scoop in each of them. Indeed, he was not: He brought three glasses with three scoops in each of them. Three times chocolate in the first, three times strawberry in the second and three times vanilla in the third. And they tasted horrible! Fortunately, my friends helped me with the ice cream. And I just wanted to finish that dinner with something nice and tasty, the meal before was not well below average. So, if you have the pleasure to be served by an Ugandan waiter or waitress: Never ever try to be funny, when you order! Never try to order vegetarian ice cream or anything similarly funny. They will try to follow your order and sometimes they tend to overachievements (see above). Just be patient, repeat your orders slowly, ask for confirmations and make sure everything is clearly understood. I would have never thought that I would ever end up like this.

Ah, and if you have a strong accent like me, be careful when it comes to friend rice or French fries. Here, they tend to mix them up quite frequently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home