Friday, March 04, 2005

Various Dress Codes Explained

When I had decide what to wear today, I checked for the dress code on the invitation. That is actually very helpful and fortunately the Brits were ruling the country and left some nice habits, so invitations have usually an indication for the dress code, too.

"Lounge Suit, Evening or Traditional Dress" - what does this mean. Well, since I was not sure and I thought Lounge Suit and Evening Dress would be contradicting, I googled it.

According to various internet sources, a "lounge suit is worn at less formal occasions such as business meetings, interviews etc, where more formal dress is not necessary. It often consists of a black, grey or navy jacket with matching trousers. A white shirt and a tie are also worn to complement the suit." - Do they think I would show my naked chest? Unfortunately the definition of evening dress is not as clear. I can be anything.

Fortunately, there is a 50/50 chance for being right, because I would definitely not wear a traditional dress. And since my tuxedo has not been ready at my dry cleaners, I had to go for a normal dark blue suit, nice red tie and white shirt.

http://www.londonleben.co.uk/london_leben/2004/10/dress_code.html

I hope that dinner will be as nice as last time. Unfortunately there are going to be some speeches. Last year I was filmed while I was sending SMS to friends in Germany. To avoid the embarrassing questions on Monday, I will leave all gadgets at home and switch my mobile phone off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home