Monday, April 25, 2005

Comment on the St. George's Ball

I forgot to post my comments on the St. George’s Ball.

It was very British, so I feared that they would serve British dishes, too. And indeed they did but surprisingly, it tasted good. The people were nice, especially those at our table. But what could I complain about…

Music: It was not really my favourite music collection that this German DJ played… And the speakers sucked. The sound was terrible.

Beverages: They served nothing, I particularly liked. Therefore I drank water and juices except for the drinking games. Then, I necked/downed[1] a glass of white wine during a “boat race”…oh and I sang….

Songs: I got a lot of insights into the mysteries of the British society. They sing strange songs and do not provide lyrics for non-Brits. That was interculturally insensitive.[2]

Rest rooms: No water and too few – shall I continue explaining the situation?

Service: The usual Ugandan standards were met…

Best excuse: The Sheraton could not deliver the dinner on time because there was a traffic jam on the way to Garden City.[3]

Venue: It was a bit strange to walk through Garden City with a tuxedo but at least I was not wearing high heels like the women…[4]



[1] It is just wonderful to have a native speaker around who can answer all my questions and who speaks perfectly German, too.

[2] I will have to learn the lyrics of the British musical heritage so that I can contribute accordingly next time. My new British colleague will take care of that part. He will of course start with "Jerusale" and he also insisted on an intensive training weekend where we will train "real" boast races. He said, one usually does not stop until at least one team member falls off the boat - I figure "passes out" would be another appropriate synonym. I hope he will not find other training partners too soon...

[3] Those who are familiar with the traffic situation in Kampala will immediately know that there was no traffic jam on the extremely short distance between the Sheraton and Garden City.

[4] Indeed I wore my new shoes – tailormade from Crane Shoes. Very nice and comfortable. I can recommend them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home