Monday, April 25, 2005

HIV/AIDS orphans

There are some situation I simply cannot cope with. One oft those was on Saturday. My former favourite waitress from the Lebanese restaurant at Garden City met me because she had - as usual – a problem. Before, I supported her after she was fired for being ill for two days, then I took care of the financial aspect of her medical treatment etc. Well, although she said that this time she needed no financial assistance I was well prepared to bail her out.

Unfortunately, she was (partly) right. She did not ask for money but she disclosed that she was recently tested HIV/AIDS positive and that she would not qualify for any kind of advanced treatment (like ARVs).[1] Her relief and concern was her six-year old son. He was tested negative and facing death, she is worried about her son’s future. What else would one expect from a caring mother?

So, but what was I supposed to do? I avoided committing myself and promised to find out whether there is an organisation that deals whith those cases…



[1] By then I realised that I still have no clue about HIV/AIDS treatments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home