Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Kardinal Ratzinger is Papst Benedikt XVI

He was chosen, so let us see what he will contribute. It might not be too bad to have conservative Catholic leader. And I say this as an enlightened, liberal protestant. I appreciate open mindedness but at the same time I appreciate a clear set of values. And this is something Cardinal Ratzinger/Pope Benedikt XVI has stood for.

One should not forget that it is the Catholic Church and not a lifestyle company, which has to catch up any trend to attract costumers. Therefore, the Pope need not be someone who indifferently follows or declares new sets of values. No, actually, I believe that the values set by the Catholic Church must be timeless and should not be changed to accommodate every new development in our modern societies.

I say this knowing that some of the rulings can (or shall I say should) be criticised and might be based on single-sided interpretations of the Holy Bible. I would even be worried, if I would see tendencies of fundamentalism. This is fortunately not yet the case. Furthermore, I believe that religion is a personal issue and that everybody should be free to believe or not.

But I admit, I have the German society in mind, which might not do justice to less open societies, which obviously exist and where the church (the Catholic Church) has a bigger influence. Having this in mind, I should maybe reconsider my opinion…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home