Monday, April 04, 2005

An interesting Fashion Show and General Thoughts

After some Jägermeister and several usual long drinks and a spontaneous “Yes” at 3a.m., I ended up slightly overdressed at a fashion show on Saturday evening, where some amateur models presented Indian fashion and in between there were two dance performances.

I was a surprisingly interesting event. I learnt that walking on the catwalk seems to be difficult indeed and that knowing the dance steps does not make you a good dancer… Well, but those were things I knew before but man keep on forgetting, don’t they? I will not comment on the performance of the models and the dancers because I am completely out of shape and it would be inappropriate. Just so much: There were some women, who are part-time models who did not have their best day and there were others, which do not only look beautiful but who really outperformed.

When I was young(er) and thin(er), we had to attend two seminars on how to dress, walk, present, greet and all this nonsense, which makes you look arrogant and untouchable. In addition my admired dancing trainer did not hold back his comments (to put it mildly), when he did not like my walking, shirt or what else. Mostly because I did not want to embarrass him, my dancing partner, and not myself of course, I obeyed and followed his advice and I still do - sometimes. On Saturday, I thought it would be time again to pull out a nice suit, the nice shoes etc. But apparently, if you belong to the Indian upper class, there is no need for style any more – at least not for the male part of it. The women wore their beautiful dresses and the men … well or those men are just more self-confident, which I am not at all.

Later (at the kind-of after-party) I told one of the best models – which is obviously a very subjective judgement – that she could do that professionally, but then she just referred to the minimum height, which made me think about the strange requirements but even more about my superficiality. The people had fun. The dancers were proud and the models looked all beautiful in their dresses. Nobody really cared about the remaining details – well they all complained about the late dinner… But I think I was the only person who cared about missing napkins, whether the handkerchief in my breast pocket is correctly folded and things like this. That is just stupid and completely irrelevant!

If you are wondering about the Jägermeister: I imported three bottles :-> It is not so much the shot itself but the memories. I had my first Jägermeister in a bar in New York. After I poured two of them with my friend, we went to the Coyote Ugly bar. The second time, it was in a bar on Houston Street, where I met the lady who was responsible for adult videos at this online shop…and so on and so on. But the very best thing was still New Year 2001/2002 (again in New York). Well, memories…
I wonder, what I will remember, when I leave this country and with whom I may stay in contact. Fortunately, I have no significant other. This has always been my biggest fear and it was a big issue, when I decided to go to Uganda on a long-term contract. I just could not stand to have to leave someone behind. But honestly, there has been and there will be no reason to worry about the last part in Uganda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home