Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Some things seem to change never …

There will be my/our ten year Abitur anniversary on June 4th. Apart from the fact that I am faced with the fact that I left the Gymnasium ten years ago, I also wonder what I did in between and I think about what I thought I would have accomplished by now. Well, but this shall not be the topic.

So someone set up this internet site so that we could “find together” and I could not resist to post a bit. And the replies were as they used to be: I said, I would be happy to come to the party and that it was wisely timed because I would be back from the jungle[1] just three days earlier. Someone who did not know, what I am going here asked, and another person, whom I met in October replied that I would manage the wealth of some African dictators. Since that is not true at all, I replied. Maybe this was a too comprehensive answer, because then I was asked to prepare a presentation.

Now, you need to know, that I always love to give presentation (on anything). I like to stand in front of an audience and talk. I even prefer being asked – any question. This has not changed since school days. However, in those days I was not really liked for this preference by the “cool” guys of my classes. And the one who asked for the preparation was among them. Instead of replying immediately in an unfriendly way[2], I just dropped him a personal message asking, whether Powerpoint would be fine, how many pages for the hand outs and whether he could provide the beamer.

Fortunately he understood my sarcasm and he had become more mature since those school days. He just replied that his strength were to make fun of me and my presentations rather than preparing own ones and that instead of dwelling on those old “friction” and have some beers instead. I agreed.

Maybe, people do change.


________________________________
[1] Actually I wrote “Busch”, which is more general for some remote places on forgotten continents in German.
[2] I had been tempted to reply by using neither nice nor polite words but I refrained from doing so – something, I would have never dared back in the 90s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home